Friday, May 18, 2012

Faith of a Child

Keegan kept talking to me last night for 4 hours about heaven and when you die. Some very serious questions for a 4 yr old. This has always been Keegan though, he's the deep thinker. I also think what sparked this conversation about death and heaven is that our family has said goodbye to loved ones recently. In March we got the most horrible phone call that our son, Marc, had died of malaria in the Congo. Our hearts were broken and Scott and I both cried and cried. Scott cried like I've never seen before. I went for a run a couple hours after I heard the news because that's what I needed to be by myself to think and pray. I couldn't help but think of Marc at 9 months old in an African hospital as an orphan with no mommy of daddy to comfort him through his pain and sickness. Then I remembered that Marc was with a foster family. I was comforted that his foster mom was most likely with him, and my heart ached for her loss of Marc as well. That night as I was doing my bible study it talked about how God, our Father, has ADOPTED us as his sons and daughters. Therefore we are His heirs. I knew God was with me that night comforting me and I felt such a peace about Marc going home to be with Jesus and maybe he was now even with his birth mom and dad. What a great reuniting party that must have been! For my birthday a few days later after we heard he went home, my husband hand made this beautiful wooden teak frame with an 8x10 picture of Marc in it. It was the most beautiful present I have ever received. We hung his picture in our home next to pictures of his brothers. We will always remember our sweet little Marc and he will always be in our hearts. I can say with 100% truth and joy that Marc is finally at home. Our true home where we were all destined to be. Living with God our Father. Before Keegan fell asleep last night he told me when you get to heaven you're alive. Keegan has never been more then right about that! The scripture I read during my bible study that night: So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead you received God's spirit as He adopted you as His own children. Now we call Him "Abba, Father." For His spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children. And since we are His children, we are His heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory. But if we are to share His glory, we must also share His suffering. Romans 8:15-17

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! That is so heartbreaking. We are with the same agency as you and had been very interested in Marc too. We inquired about him but were told he had a family. I'm so so sorry to hear about his passing. He holds a special place in my heart! Many blessings to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooo agree with this post!! It is hard to lose loved ones, but we also know that God promises comfort for those who mourn!! Baby Marc is the child that god used to bring your family to the Congo area, and his life will never be forgotten! Thanks for sharing, Britt! Keegy is a beautiful kind hearted boy, and gramma loves him lots!

    ReplyDelete